Wednesday, August 30, 2006

To kill a Mockingbird

I read ‘To kill a Mockingbird’ the first time when I was in college; borrowed the book from Jasniya, I think. I liked the book a lot then, for one thing, it was a child’s version of life, which mostly depicts innocence that no grown-up can display. Secondly, the character Atticus struck me as an ideal parent and a human being with scruples. Moreover, after all these years (5, to be approximate), I still do remember the name of that admirable character, in part, because it was mentioned in an article about Gregory Peck after his death.

I started reading the book a few days back, for the second time. I must admit that probably after reading past the first few pages, I was wondering why we did not have this book or any excerpts of it in our curriculum. It was not just a book, it was one filled with good principles and morals, I’d recommend it as one of our lessons in English. About halfway through the book, whenever I picked it up and read through it I got this lump in my throat, some emotion that I cant even describe; I was applauding Atticus for the way he brought up his children, for his sense of equality, for his being sensible and realistic.

One of those commendable moments was when he was telling his son never to kill a Mockingbird and the reason behind that advice. Today, when I was reading the final chapters of the book, I was overwhelmed, partly because I had some reasons of my own which unexpectedly saddened me, but also because of Mr. Arthur Radley. I was trying to picture it all in my mind - Scout, Jem, Atticus and the rest of them, how it would have been to live there in Maycomb County that year.

After reading the book for the second time, I would request, more than recommend, everyone else to read it. After reading ‘The Class’ by Erich Seagal, it felt like I got a lot of experience, a whole different kind, the kind that I felt when I was in college, one that you had to live through to comprehend the essence of it. After reading ‘To kill a Mockingbird’, it feels like I went through a class, a training of some kind, that one ought to have to live a satisfied, dignified, complete life. Such is the intensity of that book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home