Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My Perfect Song

I consider ‘Do Dil’ from the movie 'Pardes' a perfect song. Excellent composition, good lyrics, wonderfully sung by Kumar Sanu, no one could have possibly bettered him. With Shah Rukh playing the guitar (or was it a ukulele?) the song’s perfectly picturized. Some songs are very good, but when you watch it, the picturization is a complete let down, so much so that your liking towards the song itself decreases. Had I understood the lyrics of ‘Pehla Nasha’, it would have been a perfect song too. In spite of that, it remains in my favorites list.

Technicalities aside, I think what I like most about ‘Do Dil’ is that this song is so rich in memories, a kaleidoscope full of colorful memories… of a new beginning, of my first monsoon as a grown up (that is, if 15+ is so considered), my first time in a hostel, alongside many other first-timers, my first time away from home.

Oops, did I forget…also my first up-close experience with Julie (our hostel’s pet dog). Boy was I terrified by that innocent canine!

‘Do Dil’ covered a big chunk of my life, beginning with my friendship with Raji by borrowing her Walkman to hear this very song to relax after a sunny day outdoors cheering our football team in one of countless matches to teasing others over their crushes to listening to that song on our last day at hostel.

The instantaneous memories that ‘Do Dil’ trigger literally give me goose bumps…the very first note of the song reminds me of how, in the beginning, we girls and boys used to be shepherded from our respective hostels on Saturday nights to our school TV room (wherever that was) for our weekly chance to watch some TV. I guess it was some top-ten countdown show or something. This was until we got our own television sets in our hostel.

We were really freshers back then, having been there for hardly a month, watchful of our seniors, boys and girls equally. I can only recollect one of those TV trips when everyone was hovering by the TV to get a glimpse of what was going on. Since I was interested only in the songs, I sat back, and it amused me to watch my batch mates, treasuring this weekly luxury, that which was so taken for granted before. Watching my seniors was even more interesting. Deepu (sporting the Gupt-style sideburns which were the in thing then) propagandized to be the ‘Yaman’ or the ‘Kaalan’ of the freshers. Then there was Jeffy Anthrapier or Arthropod (or whatever the name be), with his sharp blue eyes, which he assumed made him special. Then there was Ashok Gopinath, always near Deepa Menon. The girls, Sheetal, Sherin, Remya Vishwanath (who can forget her) and the likes who spend hours in front of the mirror preening, just to impress the supposedly tough & macho lads. Then there was the dorm gang, the kiddos... Patricia, Nimmy, Megha, Pooja, Shaheen, Mosquito Ammu... O! How could I forget the Nepali Duo, Anoop Bandhari - the famous & popular football player and Gaurav Pradhan, his sidekick. I am sure I’ve missed out many of the other villains.

Years after school, I still love this song for the same reasons I fell in love with it a long time ago…

2 Comments:

Blogger Natasha said...

It was nice to have your own thought echoed on the radio, when I heard one of the RJ's commenting that probably 'Do Dil' was the song Kumar Sanu sang best - my opinion.

Monday, May 22, 2006 6:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ther!!! me a passer by, and do admit that Do Dil is simply superb, Thx for your time,

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home