Monday, April 10, 2006

License to 'Houlahoo'

Yup, I finally started going for driving classes in the beginning of
March, after waiting almost 2 and a half years. And I passed the final road test on 9th April. I'll get my drivers' license tomorrow hopefully. But what now? Why do I feel it all so meaningless , just as meaningless as the word 'houlahoo'?

Now that the initial excitement's wore off, I am coming to realize that this achievement is only good to frame in my showcase, just like my engineering degree. I won't get a chance to use it, not in this country as long as I stay with my parents or bro. I realized that I am going to face the exact situation as when I got my Indian license (IL). Its more than 5 years since I got my IL, and I must have driven 400 metres, mind you its metres, not kilometres. Yes yes I could sense that my bro n my dad were just as happy as my mom when I told them I passed the test, but I can already sense their reluctance to let me sit behind the wheel. They'll let me drive only in their presence, and that too maybe for a maximum of half an hour. But that's not why I took the license.

Deja Vu...if I don't get to drive, the whole point of waiting for 2.5 years here is itself lost. I waited so long so that my utter disappointment & hopelessness of not getting a chance to drive in India would wear off.

I hope its just the imagination of an overly tired mind. I hope this means loosening of one more noose around my crippled life here. Road to partial freedom??

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...you'll definitely get to drive a Mitsubishi Pajero, Hyundai Coupe and Chevrolet Epica!! And for more than 400 meters. Although I have an ego issue of sitting in a car driven by a girl, this is ok.

Nitin

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 9:52:00 AM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Hey don't be too confident about my driving, I still need to get used to the traffic & all...

But you don't know how much of a spirit-raiser this is :D I found my 100watt smile, the same one I lost yesterday evening.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nattu,
Great to hear about ur GL(gulf licence???).Hopefully you will get to drive around a bit...well I have been relying on the very inefficient transportation system in the Silicon Valley for the past few 3.5 years.Wishing you better luck
Vids

Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home