Sunday, May 28, 2006

My First Date

Here I am, all dressed up, waiting for my date, Sam. Lowering my guard and letting myself be vulnerable once again. He seems perfect from the outside. He’s a perfect 5 feet 11, with a healthy looking body and killer eyes. Wonder how he turns out to be.

There he is, aw! With a cute bunch of daisies, that’s so sweet (Roses would have been a definite over kill). Me, a tinge nervous, we head off to The Appleton Bistro’. That’s where he’s taking me today.

He talks nice; I am coming to really like him. And he’s genuinely happy to have me with him. Is it his eyes or is it the wine? One of them is definitely working on my senses.

Food is served and is good. I let Sam do the ordering for me and now as we speak of food, I now know we share common tastes. Food is getting tastier by the minute. Half the decision of what you eat is good or not depends on your company. If you are alone at a restaurant, food tastes like sawdust. If your company (be it friend, family or just anybody) is a sore talker, even gourmet meals can taste like feet. But if you have a great conversation going on, feet can taste like ‘Terrine de Poulet'!

We talked about so many things, from current affairs to the weather to sports (Thank God, only tennis!) to movies to family. One of the best conversations I’ve had in ages. I am not saying this coz he’s a good date. In fact what I like most about Sam is that he doesn’t fear my displeasure when contradicting or disagreeing with me. I like the fact that he didn’t patronize me, which would have been very phony.

I am so glad he’s a book person like me. We discussed Brown's ‘Da Vinci code’, Forsyth’s ‘Odessa file’, Crichton’s ‘Timeline’, Stephen King’s ‘Fire starter’ and even Mills&Boon’s!! Actually I was trying to convince him that it’s healthy reading the M&B’s of the 70’s & 80’s and definitely unhealthy reading those of today.

Dessert was ‘Tiramisu’ for me and ‘Crêpes Suzette with Raspberry sauce’ for him. Until now I was thinking that this date was going great and that it couldn’t get any better. That was until I learned that Sam played the guitar. I told him about my adoration for people who played the guitar. He said he’d play some favorites for me later someday. [So there is a ‘later’, that’s good!]

It was time for us to leave. I had work to get back to; otherwise I’d have wished this wouldn’t end...We took off from the bistro. On our way he said he had a wonderful time and couldn’t wait to do it again… the funniest part of it all was that he was holding my hands. Holding was fine; me letting him was the funny part. Coz I never let any one touch me. So I must really like this guy to be comfortable enough to let him take my hands in his. It was funny anyway and I couldn’t stop grinning once I realized that. He asked me why I was smiling like that, and I told him why. We had our first funny moment.

We reached my place & Sam walked me to the door, and asked me to wait for his call, which he added would be soon. Before he left, he gave a slight peck on my cheek.

That was a lovely first date, a near perfect!!

Disclaimer: The above article is a work of fiction, a sore attempt at creativity. The date, 'Sam' is fictitious, so is the ‘The Appleton Bistro’; Appleton – name of the guy in ‘Perfect Strangers’ and bistro coz John Grisham keeps using it in his books, moreover it somehow sounded classy! The daisies are from ‘You’ve got mail’. The ‘Tiramisu’ is from one of my countless luncheons with Nitin. And the rest of it is just words picked out from various books and sitcoms. But mostly importantly, my handicap is that I wasn't being realistic; like there is a guy with all the good qualities!!!! There, my first imaginary tale.

PS: would love to get feedback on my writing, you know, the tenses, narration and all. I think I've utterly failed trying to correct the narration.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ente ammo!! That was good! I can almost imagine the whole scene. I couldn't picture the "Appleton Bistro" though...but once you mentioned Tiramisu(yummm) I picture it as Johny Carinos. And I guess there is a touch of reality in this fiction...like that holding hands part. I have never seen you holding hands with anyone, and it is sort of amusing imagining you in a romantic scene like that!!

And I bet that part of food tasting like feet bit was taken from Ross' comment about Rachel's famous half sheperd's pie and half English Trifle from the Thanksgiving episode of season 6!

Nitin

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger rafeeq said...

hey nuts really loved it !!! cool one yaar.
Okie so now lemme try to analyze, but get inputs from great writers like.Here it goes :

1. You were very vulnerable at the start but as lines went by grew in confidence...
2. You were fluctuating continously between you n him.Give sometime for the readers to sink in...
3.All too short emotions flooding, give more space
4.I want to taste all those food !!!hehe say food and my mouth is watering ;)
5.DISCLAIMER: This is my lame attempt to criticise someones true work.So i might have erred.

Monday, May 29, 2006 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger nijaz said...

Hey! Great work! you should join writersBlockUae.

A simple act, but yet the reader dwell in the emotions associated with the entire experience.

Feedbacks:-

The title. If I were to write about the same subject for a story, I would never give it away instantly in the title. I would let the suspense linger on to the reader's mind for as long as possible. (And of course since screwing people's head up gives me great kicks, I would have ended the story with, "my sister's found the perfect guy" ;))

Well thats about it! Keep rocking and writing!

Monday, May 29, 2006 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Nitin, man I am still chuckling, the after effect of your comment :D I knew you'd remember the English Trifle, I counted on it. And yes, there is a bit of reality in it and that I must say was my handicap. Though this all started off as an idea to write about how a perfect date would be, it finally spun into this. Alas! I couldn't cook up a guy of a different kind other than of my liking.

Monday, May 29, 2006 6:00:00 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Rafeeq, thanx for the numbered feedbacks. Appreciate it. I must say, I was trying hard not to make it too long. I guess that explains the all the wvering emotions.

Monday, May 29, 2006 6:10:00 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Nijaz, FYI: I wrote this before I got the 'Writers Block' link. I thought it was a nice coincidence.

About the title, my intention was to let the reader know about my date, though I wanted the reader(those who know me) to be surprised, as in , 'Natasha, on a date!!!!!!' But I think I gave away that with the mention of 'wine' and from there on it was just adding more imagination.

And yes, suspense and a twist at the end; that's your style, a good one too - Jeffrey Deaver n Sidney Sheldon style. Another day, I'll try that out.

Monday, May 29, 2006 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, May 29, 2006 6:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nuttu..
well i was just trying to picture you doing all that stuff and I couldnot...but you do have a great imagination.great writing too...really enjoyed it
Vidhu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey u almost got me there....was wondering how the hell u never told me!

Friday, June 09, 2006 10:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome work! Not sure if i can rate it that way since this is the first blog of yours that am reading. And this definitely made me think i should be reading the others too..Why didnt i spend time on this earlier?

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U still tell me that u r not Romantic! Well there is a docile part of ur emotion that needs to be nutured.

Well written. Sam must be the Saif kinda guy :) To make it more fictious and full of energy, add some Tango to it n then change the title to Tango and Nash :)

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home