Sunday, May 21, 2006

Meaningless Accomplishments

My bro’s going out of the country for his visa change in like a few hours from now, which all of us including my bro knew of only now. Kash has to collect his ticket at 4 from his head office in Bur Dubai and then report at Terminal 2 in Ghusais latest by 5 to catch the flight at 7:30. Now dad has to be there at his site at 5:30, so he can’t help in anyway. Now who’ll drive back the car my brother leaves at the airport? Me? I wish. At this very moment my license and me are invisible to everyone. I do not exist. Now that I wish were true. I can’t believe I don’t even qualify to be listened to. Who am I kidding, I can believe that, it's just that I am upset and I begin to wonder if at least an ounce of common sense resides in my dad’s and bro’s brains. I wish I could shove some common sense and reason down their throats.

I suggested that dad & bro exchange cars coz there was no way I could drive back bro’s rented car with the 1-year-old-license rule and all. They didn’t even listen to me; it was as if I were suggesting assassinating Kofi Annan.

Finally it got settled that one of my cousins would drop off Kashi. And if he had not been around, a cab would have been their ONLY other option. Now why did I get a license? Oh yeah, to drive myself around in my imaginary car whose loan I am paying back with the help of my imaginary job. That’s why.

I find new levels of exasperation as time passes.

PS: I don’t drive badly. Unfortunately the only ones who can vouch for me are the ones who don’t accept me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same happened to me during my sister's marriage. There was no one to drive my brother-in-law and sister from Kodungallur to Guruvayoor and I offered to do that. It was just a year after I got my license and immediately a group of people surrounded me! Are you sure?? Can you handle it? It is a bloody Maruti Zen...I can carry it home! But for them Maruti Zen was a mixture of complicated and complex machinery controlled by super computers! Seeing their concern I told them if they any other option do consider and they found a driver.

I guess it would remain meaningless for you unless you get your own car. And dear...if you drive in Dubai long enough...you would drive badly!

Nitin

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:56:00 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Did I tell you, I intend to ask no one for a chance to drive, anymore. So, since I know I shall drive ONLY after I get myself a car, I have come to peace with it. So until then my license is just another an adornment in my wallet.

Nitin, you don't drive badly. I know I don't coz if I do, I'll get car-sick (and I haven't so far). So I better watch my own driving. But then again, I am no expert on the roads either.

End of TOPIC!!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:28:00 PM  
Blogger nijaz said...

Before I go for a flight, my grandmother starts praying, and reciting Holy Verses.

I tell her, pray but pray that I reach the airport safe in my car. Don't worry about the flight.

Simply the way Dubai is. And India is even far worse.

So concern is good. But then you can't be very protective either. Coz then you have to live in a little cube with no contact with any shreds of humanity or technology.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:13:00 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Protective my ass!! Nijaz, I think you know very well that it has nothing to do with my safety or the car's safety. In fact, it has nothing to do with cars or roads.

It's simply that my dad & bro are 'MCP'ing. They both know that my mom & me rely on them MAINLY for going out/transportation. Otherwise we are two independent females. They know it. They are just delaying what is to come :D

Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home