Sunday, March 05, 2006

Under the Weather

December 31st, The last day of 2005.

I decided to revisit some of the elements that might one day change the course of my life. They very well had set the course..just awaiting the change.

The 2 elements: Shiji, my colleague/friend/confidante from Lunad. More importantly, my first married friend. I went to Lunad to meet her & also Madhavi, but she was busy with pagination and all. Our rendezvous was good as always.

After meeting Shiji, I headed to Bur Juman to meet the 2nd element, Supin. It was a long time since we met, moreover we hardly ever managed to speak for more than 13 seconds (superstitious??!!) thanx to our erratic work hours. So we decided to catch up over lunch.

I reached quite early for our lunch, so to kill time I went window shopping . I was browsing @ Magrudy's and I came across a 'Michael Moore' book. I can't quite remember the title, I think its 'Dude, where's my country?'. I read an official looking page right in the beginning of the book, a letter from the CIA!! I decided I had to read that book. It was hilarious.

And then it was 1 o'clock & I finally met Supin. Its always nice to meet a close friend of yours. Here in the UAE, its either Supin, Nitin, Nijaz or Shiji (the latest of my friends). That day I was meeting 3 out of the 4.

Comparing diet notes with Supin while he munched away his fried chicken and I waited for my pita bread sandwich. Checking who had a busier work schedule and whose social life was sorrier. After exchanging notes & summarizing the year that thankfully whizzed away (what with the heart wrenching drama & penny pinching weeks and all I was constantly under the weather), it was time to leave.

Though it was just an hour long, it sure was good. I guess that happens with good friendships. For instance, though the only communication between Shruthi n me is through Nitin, when I meet her in person in India, it feels like we're always connected. That happens through time. This time it was something Supin said that hit home, something even many people would overlook. It felt good anyway.

Now I set out to meet the 3rd friend, Nijaz. I was waiting at the bus depot for the bus that never seemed to be coming. It was a long wait, but I found it extremely refreshing, for I was listening to a soothing song over the radio (instinctively I started recording it). I got hooked to it instantly & played it all the way till the doorsteps of my friend's place. The song said something about rain and getting soaked to the skin.

Apart from the song the other refreshing element while at the depot was the weather - cloudy & windy. It was fantastic, with the perfect breeze that brings a pleasant chill to the atmosphere, the light sprinkling of raindrops where you don't need to scamper to get under a cover. Altogether it was a perfect ambience that complemented a lousy year; the perfect ending to a far-from-perfect year. In fact, December 31st 2005 was the best day the year, for my soul & for my body.

What sheer coincidence that the song I got hooked to that evening was connected to rain. Even more coincident is the title of the song which I learnt about just a few weeks back...its called 'Under the Weather' & the artist is KT Tunstall

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home