Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Telepathic Hug

How many times when you are filled with sorrow or surrounded by happiness and excitement have you wished you had your friend to give a hug, a bear hug at that? A zillion times in my case.

Many a time, during my college life when my heart used to weigh down, have I sought comfort in the ‘hug’. All my foster sisters were good at those spirit-raisers. In particular I remember after one marathon waterworks session, which failed to cease even with the help of my pillow, I asked Sreeja to give me a hug. It was such an emotional pick-up for me. Hugs, they indeed do wonders to the heart.

I even remember hugging a stuffed toy dog Vidhu got from her Xmas friend (a life-sized Pommeranian, something she eventually gave me) & Marilyn’s ‘Huggable’ teddy bear, a really cuddly fluorescent green teddy she was gifted by Abid. The teddy was a thing of comfort for a whole lot of us hostellers.

What if no one’s around? That’s when the imaginary hug comes into action. Back to my college days, one ever-huggable person was Abid, and would have done so had the ‘rules of life’ permitted to, maybe Derwi too. I’ve couriered lots of hugs via e-cards & e-mails to my overseas friends like Vidhu, Marilyn, Sreeja, Angela.

Of late for the support lent to me - sometimes as a troubled soul, other times for humoring me & my fanciful imagination, I’ve hugged them in my mind to show them how well they mean to me, how I value their listening to me, how they boost my morale sometimes even unknowingly to them. This is what I’ve termed the ‘telepathic hug’, for I wish for them to know it while it happens. Marilyn, Supin, Isaf and Thanju, just to let you know in case you haven’t got my telepathic hug. What stops me from the actual hug is either distance-bound constraints or that it explicitly states in the book on ‘rules of life’. Thanju, remember ‘Rules 2’? ; -P

Mmm..Funny that the hug factor never even crossed my mind with my other set of friends who too are great pillars of my sane life – my classmate friends. Maybe coz I consider them at par with me and the hug is for those whom I look up to, an exception being Thanju who’s a good 3 years my junior.

There’s one more hug I cherish a lot. When that pair of arms, small yet strong, wrap around me, you suddenly feel the world’s once more a lovely place filled with love, happiness & innocence. My niece, Janaina, she gives the best of hugs a 5-year old can give :D My hugs to her too….

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nuttu..
wish I could have one of your telepathic hugs right now.

From,
One of your foster sisters who is going thru a rough day

Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:16:00 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Hi foster sis, I saw your comment only now, so there definitely is a delay in fulfilling your request.

A big hug to you, firstly b'coz I get the idea that you (regardless of whichever one of the 11 it be) are reading my blogs. Secondly, coz I too have been going through a not-very-pleasant time...seeing your message brightened my 40watt smile to a whooping 100watt grin :D

Saturday, April 08, 2006 9:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home