Saturday, March 04, 2006

The smell of rain

In the wake of the recent rains we had here in Dubai, the cogs of my brain took a different turn; here's all about rain.

I've heard many people living here in this desert reminiscing about rain and the smell of wet mud that emanates with the first showers of the season. Everytime I hear them say that I used to go, "Ugh! It definitely is not what you'd call fragrance." This was before I went to India for further studies.

After 6 years of monsoons & scores of rain baths in Kerala, my olfactory senses too picked up a liking for that earthy fragrance..yes I use the term 'fragrance' for even if the odor isn't all too pleasing, the memories it brings back are pleasant. Now I know why the elders loved the atmosphere after the first rain. I yearn for those times when I lived a care-free life, surrounded by friends and loved one , playing with the rain, singing with it (my song mate being Marilyn).

One particular ocassion I remember very clearly, one of my best times with rain: After FE-II exam in first year, Shruthi n myself were on our way out of the campus after the exam at Siberia (in CUSAT, not in Russia), we were walking. It started raining cats & dogs, and in spite of the umbrellas we were carrying, we got drenched (minus our heads) in seconds. Both Shruthi & yours truely having been the devils we were, decided out of a whim to get completely drenched. Enjoying the rain, chatting & singing away to glory pretty much the way you see in movies, minus the dancing of course, we had a ball of a time. Seniors must have thought,"Freshers...Gulf-NRI's...having their go at rain-fun."

I think that was the beginning of voluntary drenching. Wonderful start. Then there were countless encounters in the terrace of our hostel, with all the privacy we could ask for, it was sheer bliss. Then there were rains under our much loved hangout, our tharavaadu - the cycle shed, even bike rides in the rain, that was jolly good. The trip from Port Trust was one of those.

Rain reminds me of an era of eternal bliss that used to soothe my soul, an era long gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home